Thursday, January 26, 2012

Last Moments with the Superbe



Just shy of ten years of riding my '71 Raleigh Superbe, today, 1.26.12 my seat was stolen from it. Bob & Erica found the bike in Santa Cruz and presented it to me in June '02 along with a tailor-made maintenance list and resource file for this vintage. Amazing gifts those two...

Recently I had been thinking about letting go of my bike since I ordered a Moulton that's due any day now. In fact, on Tuesday a seemingly homeless person with a British accent was eyeing my bicycle with affection outside Vegi-Food restaurant on Vine. When I asked him if he had a bicycle he said he did in a wistful manner while smiling with appreciation at my Superbe's English pedigree. Part of me just wanted to give it to him but I was still too attached. The next day he wandered into Peet's and stood off to the side fingering his change for an inordinate amount of time. Before he entered the waiting line I got a cup of coffee and presenting it, bid him a good day.

Today, two days later, as I came out of Local 123 Cafe on San Pablo Avenue Diana Krall was singing "Pick Yourself Up And Start All Over Again" on my iPod. I then discovered my locked bicycle and the missing seat. I paused in surprise, upset and finally acceptance of the situation. At first I thought to just unlock it and walk away thanking the universe for providing me with a solution to the question of not really wanting two bicycles despite a recurring thought of retaining the Superbe as a "beater" or commuter bike. The cost of another Brooks saddle and seat post was more than I felt compelled to spend given my current thinking. I then thought to donate it to The Missing Link who have been great at maintaining it over its life with me as a thank you and letting them keep the money from selling it to a customer. They're a co-op and after all, I got it as a gift--easy come, easy go.

On the walk up Addison Street to the bike shop I came across this license plate apropos to my recent awakening--look closely at the bicycle's down tube...

No comments: